Civilization Definition for Kids
Definition for English-Language Learners from Merriam
January 29, 2020 – 10:06 am
Also British civilised /ˈsɪvəˌlaɪzd/
Learner's definition of CIVILIZED
[more civilized; most civilized]: marked by well-organized laws and rules about how people behave with each other
- A civilized society must respond to crime with fairness and justice.
- a more civilized culture
- a person known throughout the civilized world [=everywhere people live in well-organized and developed societies]
- Stop yelling. We have to be more civilized about this.
- a civilized conversation
- Try to act like a civilized human being!
- civilized behavior
- With my new job, I'll be able to start my day at a more civilized hour. [=at a time that is not so early in the morning]
- a civilized way to spend the evening
- They lived in a more civilized era. [=a time when people were more concerned with what was proper]